1. There are several recurring themes in Forty Acres and a Soggy Grave. What are they?
2. At various points, Lizzie thinks about the relationships of the couples who have gathered to celebrate Wade’s birthday. Do you think her observations are accurate?
3. Wade is protective of his wife because she was once kidnapped by a mentally disturbed fan. Do you think his demand that she not return to her role in the soap opera is reasonable?
4. The issue of illegal immigration from Mexico is sometimes a matter of contention. Discuss the various attitudes the characters in this book display about Mexican migrant labor and illegal immigrants.
5. Do you think Malcolm loves his wife? What about his relationship with his mother? How does the struggle to save their farm affect their relationships?
6. The characters in this book lie to each other. Quinn tells Lizzie that lying can sometimes be justified. Which of the lies told in this book do you think can be justified? Which cannot?
7. The book ends with a violent act. What do you think it was like for the other characters in the hours and days after this act occurred?
8. Are you still concerned about the well-being of any of the characters when the story ends?
- Amateur sleuth